Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shock me, Shock me, Shock me...

Sorry I didn't get around to posting yesterday; I was just all over the place. As you know, we had our first ultrasound yesterday. I've been so nervous leading up to that moment, but I'm happy to say that not only is everything OK, but we have TWO happy and healthy babies...


That's right... TWINS. I am in a state of shock. Twins do runin my family, and I was at an increased risk with the IF treatments, but my beta levels did not lead the doctors or me to believe this would happen, as it was right on par with doubling every 48 hours. The last beta test I had was at 4w4d, and the ultrasound happened at 6w2d. Soooo, yeah.

What I think is even better is how we found out. There wasn't a celebrated "Oh, look, TWINS!", as I would have expected. Instead, there I was, on the table and probed while my husband stands behind me. The tech began her search and immediately my husband and I thought something looked a little off. But before we could say anything, the tech had closed the u/s screen and opened a data entry screen, where she casually changed the number of fetuses from 1 to 2... and so of course I said, "There's two in there?!" The tech and observing doctor were both very nonchalant and just laughed at the shock on my husband and my face.

But we quickly got over the shock (momentarily anyway), with lots of comments along the lines of "Well, looks like we knocked all the kids out at once" or "We need to take up some extra jobs". We really couldn't be happier. While it’s a bit overwhelming, we are excited about this chapter in our lives. Both babies were great, measuring just a day behind what we expected, and with strong heartbeats of 120 bpm. That was the most wonderful thing in the world to hear!  We do have to wait a few weeks before we find out if they are identical or fraternal, which we will know once the placenta takes over.

So now I feel like I understand why I have felt so miserable so early on... I'm getting a double dose!

Our next appointment is on April 15th, and this will be the first with our new OB. We're very excited, especially since we'll get new u/s pics. Yay!

(and on a side note, I apologize the attached pics are blurry; I took them with my cell phone).

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! It is great that they look so good!

    My guess is fraternal! The only "real" way to know if they are identical or fraternal is a DNA test. We did not do one as we were 99.9% sure they were fraternal. My placentas fused together so it looked like 1, but it was 2.

    I was overwhelmed at the thought of twins and was even more overwhelmed when mine arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am so glad to hear that they are both healthy! I can't even imagine the look on your faces. Double the pleasure and double the shock! Looking forward to following on this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never believe this, but Tuesday night I had a dream that you were having twins. A boy and a girl. I don't even know you that well, but it was a vivid dream. I just had a feeling I guess! Can I steal on of them :) LOL

    Congrats girlie! I am sooooooooo happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Double the miracle...Congrats and enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. Great news to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation! I've been following your journey for a little while now and was so excited for you when I saw your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you and your husband. I am sure it was a shock at first. I've been reading your blog.... I love it! Here's to a healthy 9 months ahead!

    ReplyDelete