Monday, May 24, 2010

Drama, Drama, Drama

So, as per usual, it never fails that everything around me goes wrong once my hubby leaves town. I'd like to think I am fully capable of functioning on my own, but really, it’s so much easier when he is around.

It started off with small things, like the cable box breaking for a minute, or the shower clogging (and is still clogged, BTW, because this clog is impenetrable apparently), but Friday night was terrible for me... and Saturday just got worse.

I decided to watch a movie in bed Friday night, knowing perfectly well that there was no way I'd stay awake. It’s just not possible. After about 30 minutes, I was out. I woke up around 11pm to the movie credits, and when I got up to turn off the TV and hit up the bathroom, I noticed a terrible pain down the right ride of my back. I had no idea what I had done, but it felt like the world's worse muscle cramp. I tried to find a comfortable position, but it didn't exist. Instead, I spent most of the night, wide awake, practically in tears from the pain and frustration. My body finally gave in about 3am and let me fall asleep, propped up on my back. I felt terrible sleeping like this, since I know its bad in pregnancy, but it was the only way I could get some sleep.

So, I wake up Saturday morning and call the doctor. They have urgent care hours on Saturday, so I went in and was seen by a nurse practitioner. Apparently, this was a bad idea. I probably would have been better going to the ER or to an actual Urgent Care facility and waiting for 2-3 hours than dealing with this woman. They ran a few tests to make sure it wasn't my kidneys or some other issue, which thankfully it wasn't, and decided it was just a pulled muscle or muscle spasm. I pretty much knew this, but my hubby was really insistent that I go to the doctor and be sure... and I'd always like to be safe than sorry.

So, what does the NP give me to help since I couldn't take any anti-inflammatory drugs?? VALIUM! Flipping Valium, a Pregnancy Category D which basically is known to cause birth defects and should only be given in life threatening situations, which this was not. I asked her three times if she was sure this was OK, and she swore it was, but I knew that couldn't be right. As soon as she left the room, I got on my phone and looked it up. Yup, there is was, a hundred pages telling me NOT to take this drug. So, I call my OB, and she was in absolute shock that someone would actually give a pregnant person Valium. She said if anything, I should only be taking something with a narcotic in it, like Tylenol 3's or Percocets. She said to avoid taking anything if possible, and just keep heat on it, but if I really needed something to take off the edge, this was what I could take.

So I called the NP back and let her know what my OB had said, and the stupid woman actually had the nerve to be mad at me! She gave me such attitude that I dare call my OB and confirm it was OK to take Valium and said my OB didn't know how to diagnose medical issues like this because that is not her area. She said narcotic drugs will not help with back pain. Hello, its a pain killer, right? Isn't that its job??

I was so mad. I was mad at this woman for giving me something that could have hurt my babies and I was mad at her for giving me crap because I wanted to be sure it was safe. I seriously have half a mind to call them back today and talk to someone of authority, but at the same time, I wasted so much energy on this already, that I am just tired to thinking about it.

Anyway, so I spent most of the rest of the weekend lying down. My back feels ALOT better today, but I am definitely still sore and stiff. I only needed to breakdown and take one Tylenol 3 on Saturday night, but that was just to really help me get comfortable enough to sleep. I really hope this was just some fluke and not something that will be occurring regularly for the duration of the pregnancy.


If you want more information of Pregnancy Drug Categories, visit here.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't even know what to say to that!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I would call someone, because what if she gives it to someone who ISN'T on top of their healthcare like you are, they take it, and it harms their baby!

    Sorry you had a rough weekend. I don't like it when my DH is away either! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a random fan. also pregnant with twins. you should totally tell someone. also - i have had back pain for 2 years now. ice, not heat, is actually supposed to be better (it doesn't feel better though). and in an hour of desperation, i saw a chiropractor and they helped me, without drugs. now pregnant with twins, my back started to twinge and i researched on american pregnancy assoc that chiropratic therapy in pregnancy is safe. to each his own, but if nothing else, try ice and yea you for calling your ob.

    ReplyDelete